The skills learned in English surpass English classes and involve life skills that translate into the real world and into the workforce, particularly reading comprehension to understand and grasp concepts. Our English tutors will not only serve as educators, but will also act as mentors guiding students to expand their critical thinking skills and to provide the motivation and confidence needed to succeed in their academics, particularly English.
- Reading comprehension is the ability to understand what is read and to understand important lessons, stories, and arguments. It’s a skill that surpasses academics and leaks out into other aspects of life.
- Reading comprehension skills increases enjoyment and effectiveness of reading, and helps academically, professionally, and personally. The development of reading comprehension begins as a young student and also develops outside of academics. Academically, students benefit from reading comprehension if they enjoy what they are reading. If students enjoy what they are reading, they have a higher chance of understanding and learning from what they are reading. Professionally, employees and business owners benefit from strong reading comprehension if they can read and understand complicated documents. Personally, reading comprehension is beneficial by being able to personally connect to stories. Sharpening reading comprehension skills early in a students’ academic career is crucial.
- Humanities: Students are taught about significant events and significant leaders in Social Studies and History and to be able to understand the significance of history’s events and leaders, students must have good reading comprehension to understand. Furthermore, particularly for high school students, courses such as Psychology, Philosophy, Geography, Anthropology, and Literature studies are all courses that require a strong reading comprehension level, as these courses refer to previous works of researchers and authors.
- Math: In math, students are often given word problems to solve. Reading comprehension is important to be able to determine what’s being asked. Word problems are a good reflection of some math done outside of academics as consumers in society, so it’s important for students to have competent reading comprehension as a life skill to do basic and important math.
- Science: Children read about scientific related topics that have them reading and exploring facts about animals, plants, the Solar System, scientific methods, etc. They begin to explore important plant and animal life cycles, and water cycles and reading comprehension is important in understanding these important lessons. As students get into the higher grades, students are now doing science lab experiments. It’s important for students to have good reading comprehension to understand why and what the purpose of their experiments are.
- Reading comprehension doesn’t only influence English/Language Arts, it’s pivotal for a students’ success in the education system.
Why iSmart tutoring?
- Group sessions because small group sessions, students can discuss the topics with each other, which can enhance their communication skills, and they can learn from each other and widen each other’s perspectives, and learn to feel comfortable expressing their ideas in front of each othe
- Work booklet for students depending on their levels. Students will have limited reading time, which will improve their focus and their reading speed/comprehension
- Students will also answer multiple choice questions and write short paragraphs and summaries to enhance their analysis and critical thinking abilities
- Students will be able to ask questions and receive help
- Students will receive homework for extra practise